Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: "Jon Franz" <coventry(at)one(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date: 2002-06-06 00:05:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:50:46 -0400
"Jon Franz" <coventry(at)one(dot)net> wrote:
> One note: SGI developers discovered they could get amazing performance using
> as hybrid threaded and forked-process model with apache - we might want to
> look into this. They even have a library for network-communication
> utilizing thier 'state threads' model.

I think ST is designed for network I/O-bound apps -- last I checked,
disk I/O will still block an entire ST process. While you can get around
that by using another process to do disk I/O, it sounds like ST won't be
that useful.

However, Chris KL. (I believe) raised the idea of using POSIX AIO for
PostgreSQL. Without having looked into it extensively, this technique
sounds promising. Perhaps someone who has looked into this further
(e.g. someone from Redhat) can comment?

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC