Moving data from FreeBSD to Red Hat

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving data from FreeBSD to Red Hat
Date: 2002-05-25 20:08:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I have some data which I backed up from a FreeBSD machine. In FreeBSD the
DB superuser is pgsql. In Red Hat Linux it is Postgresql.

when i try to use pg_restore to get some data which was in FreeBSD to Red
Hat I get an error.

bash-2.05$ pg_restore -d temp -U postgres -S postgres bestpal.dump
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not reconnect to database: FATAL 1:
IDENT authentication failed for user "pgsql"

I even tried creating a user pgsql in the Red Hat machine, but that didn't
help.

Any suggestions?

The file I created was compressed. Do I need to use the ASCII format to
move data across?