How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice

From: "patrick k (dot)" <patrick+pgsql(at)pioneerdigital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice
Date: 2002-05-16 02:39:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

The company I work for has decided to use PostgreSQL database as
its primary db for its major product. PostgreSQL's major role is
for data storage and retrieval by various applications and UIs.

We are about to release this new version of our software using
PostgreSQL as part of our distribution (in the form of a CDROM)
to our clients.

Our code uses PostgreSQL via C API, JDBC and Php interfaces.

There seems to be a slight uncertainty on what and how should our
software provide all that is required to conform to the
PostgreSQL (BSD) licensing terms and conditions.

Our intention is to have PostgreSQL be installed from our
software distribution CD in binary form.

I was hoping asking the PostgreSQL developer and user community
would help answer this question.

In particular:

- Is including the COPYRIGHT file from the PostgreSQL sources as
part of our distribution be:
+ Sufficient?
+ A starting point?

- Do we need to have a hardcopy of the contents in COPYRIGHT
file included with our hardcopy documentation?

- Should any of our software display PostgreSQL Copyright
information:
+ upon execution?
+ upon execution with either --version or --copyright
option?

What about:
+ Php pages?
+ Daemon processes running in the background?
+ Command line processes (those similar to psql)?

Any information that can be communicated/supplied to us would be
greatly appreciated.

About the only references I found from the PostgreSQL
mailing-list archives was the following which doesn't quite cover
this topic:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-03/msg00972.php

Thank you very much,
--