Re: data-type for image files

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sibusiso xolo <sibxol(at)b-vol(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data-type for image files
Date: 2002-05-16 00:14:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sibu,

> I would like to know if there is a data type for file such as image files.
> In otherwords is there a straignt forward way to place references to
> images-files in a postgres table. I notice there is a network datatype
(cidr
> or inet). If an image file is stored at host://someplace/image for example
> can this 'address' be used as a datatype (i.e. a pointers in the
> table..... ?

Your basic options are these:
1. Use a BLOB datatype to store the images directly in the database.
2. Use filesystem pointers to store the image in a file, which is retrievable
through your interface code.

For a variety of reasons, I prefer 2. However, the BLOB approach as strong
adherents. See the Postgres docs for more info:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/largeobjects.html

-Josh Berkus