pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Robert <robert(at)robert(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++
Date: 2002-05-10 11:57:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 13:13, mlw a écrit :
> I am starting to come to the conclusion that the PostgreSQL group is
> satisfied with cygwin, and the will to create a native Win32 version does
> not exist outside of a few organizations that are paying developers to
> create one.

The more important is get a Windows version on the way. pgAdmin2, PostgreSQL
Windows GUI, will soon be included in the Dev-C++ development environment, as
per discussion with Colin Laplace.

Native tools for Windows can have a huge success. Dev-C++ had 1.200.000 hits
over the last years.

> Without some buy-in from the core team, I'm not sure I am willing to spend
> my time on it. If someone would be willing to fund the 100 or so man-hours
> required to do it, then that would be a different story.

I suggest we focuss on providing a minimal PostgreSQL + Cygwin layer at first.
This will give you the required user base to transform PostgreSQL into a
multi-platform RDBMS.

If we add together direct downloads on http://www.postgresql.org and from
partner sites (Dec-C++ on http://www.bloodshed.net), we could well reach the
number of 1.000.000 downloads a year under the Windows platform.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel