Index size limits

From: Mark Rae <mrae(at)purplebat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index size limits
Date: 2002-05-10 09:25:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Using 7.2.1 I just got this error message

ERROR: btree: index item size 2824 exceeds maximum 2713

searching the mailing lists I came across this explaination by
Tom Lane

> The btree code assumes it can fit at least three keys per page, and if
> you have some keys > 1/3 page then sooner or later three of them will
> need to be stored on the same page. 6.5.2 didn't complain in advance,
> it just crashed hard when that situation came up. 7.0 prevents the
> problem by not letting you store an oversized key to begin with.
> (Hopefully all these tuple-size-related problems will go away in 7.1.)

Obviously, these problems have not gone away, and you can quite happily
create larger keys without any warning.

Will this be fixed in 7.3 or at least put the creation time check
in a 7.2.2 release if there is one?

-Mark