Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Igor Kovalenko <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com>, Matthew Kirkwood <matthew(at)hairy(dot)beasts(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date: 2002-05-09 13:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Igor Kovalenko" <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com> writes:
> > I was talking about named pipe vs UDS socket...
>
> Aren't those the same thing? You get a socket file either way.

No they are not. The former is a FIFO file, the latter a
socket. FIFO's can be used via open(2), sockets via
connect(2). And as said before, FIFO's are there since UNIX
Version 7 (at least, I haven't been around before that). So
there is a good chance that these are available on every
UNIX.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #