Re: mV database tools

From: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Arthur(at)LinkLine(dot)com" <arthur(at)linkline(dot)com>, PostGreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
Subject: Re: mV database tools
Date: 2002-05-01 23:08:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suppose arrays are PostgreSQL's equivalent of multi-valued data (is it
> possible to have arrays of arrays?) So it could be argued that
> PostgreSQL already provides part of what Arthur wants.

It seems to me that there would be a whopping lot of value to the exercise of
figuring out some way of "layering" MVD on top of a relational database, even
if only to provide something sufficiently analytical to cope with the
perpetual claims of:

"MultiValued Databases are Vastly, Spectacularly, the Bestest Kind of
Database ever imagined in the universe! No, really they are!"

It might not be necessary to go all the way to fully layering such a thing atop PostgreSQL, although it would be a nice riposte to be able to respond with:

"Been there, done that. Of _COURSE_ PostgreSQL supports MultiValue."
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html

--