Re: Triggers and System Tables

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers and System Tables
Date: 2002-04-16 15:59:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> I have a brief question concerning triggers and system tables:
> Why is it not allowed to trigger a system table? I guess it could be
> useful from time to time.

Because system tables are often modified by direct heap
access, rather than regular query plans handled through the
executor. The direct heap access doesn't invoke the triggers.

Even if we get this problem "fixed" (I don't really consider
it broken), what if you setup a ON UPDATE OR DELETE trigger
for pg_proc, that is broken? You cannot remove or fix it any
more, so your pg_proc system catalog is frozen, forever,
irreversable, infinitely! That's bad!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #