Re: changeing type of column

From: wsheldah(at)lexmark(dot)com
To: "Yuri A(dot) Kabaenkov" <sec(at)artofit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: changeing type of column
Date: 2002-04-02 19:56:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Use the pg_dump command to dump both the schema and data to an ascii file. Make
a backup of that file, then edit it and change the column definition to varchar
(any reason not to use text instead?).

Then you'll want to write a short script to put single quotes around every
integer value of that column; I would probably use perl, but there are lots of
ways to do this.

Then just run pg_restore and you should be set. Hope this helps,

Wes

"Yuri A. Kabaenkov" <sec%artofit(dot)com(at)interlock(dot)lexmark(dot)com> on 04/02/2002
01:18:48 PM

Please respond to "Yuri A. Kabaenkov" <sec%artofit(dot)com(at)interlock(dot)lexmark(dot)com>