Re: Posix AIO in new Red Hat Linux

From: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
To: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Posix AIO in new Red Hat Linux
Date: 2002-03-30 18:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 09:59:11AM -0600, Greg Copeland wrote:
> It doesn't really say, however, it makes me wonder if it's SGI's KAIO
> (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kaio/) effort which is reported to provide
> up to 35% performance improvement for heavily I/O bound applications.

I don't think it is. I think the RH announcement refers to their intent
to quickly stabilize some of the upcoming Linux 2.5 code and package it
separately for "enterprise" customers. If that's correct, the Linux 2.5
asynchronous I/O implementation will likely be Ben LaHaise's:
http://www.kvack.org/~blah/aio/

I agree with Greg -- it looks like it could definately improve Pg's
performance.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC