Re: no quotes in arrays in 7.2

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Peter Keller <peter(dot)keller(at)bvv(dot)bayern(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no quotes in arrays in 7.2
Date: 2002-03-20 16:42:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Peter Keller wrote:

> I upgraded to pg 7.2.
> When I do a SELECT on a column defined as text[ ] I get:
>
> {{FLTL,DFBV2bI16nfqCEag,1000}}
>
> when I do the same SELECT on postgres 7.1 I get the same result but with
> quotes:
>
> {{"FLTL","DFBV2bI16nfqCEag","1000"}}
>
> Only using a comma as a separator is not very good, because the text in the
> array can contain commas, so seperating can get impossible.

If the string contained a comma it should get quotes put around it on
output:
sszabo=# create table aat(a text[]);
insert into aCREATE
sszabo=# insert into aat values ('{"aaa", "fdadfa,fdad", "3"}');
INSERT 148041 1
sszabo=# select * from aat;
{aaa,"fdadfa,fdad",3}
(1 row)

> Is the new output a bug?

Maybe (see recent discussion on the topic)