Re: joins?

From: David Eduardo Gomez Noguera <davidgn(at)servidor(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: postgres <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: joins?
Date: 2002-03-06 17:29:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:57:57 -0500
"Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com> wrote:

i do joins on a foreign key.
i.e.
from (table1 left join table2 on table1.id=table2.fk_table1_id) left join table3 on table1.id=table2.fk_table1_id...

do you know if postgres takes any advantage of that? or if there is an easier way to write it?
(i.e. tell it to join on foreign keys constraints)

> Explicit joins allow you to order the joins any way you want. When join
> conditions are in the WHERE clause, you don't have any control over the
> order in which the tables are joined.
>
> Additionally, when you do an explicit join, you can perform other types of
> joins, such as an inner join, outer join, etc.
>
> Personally I prefer doing explicit joins because it makes my SQL more
> readable to me; all the glue that joins the tables together is in the FROM,
> and the WHERE clause just limits the rows that I want returned.
>
> Greg

ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
=^..^=