Re: elog() patch

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elog() patch
Date: 2002-03-01 15:07:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> > New LOG level the prints to server log by default
>
> > Cause VACUUM information to print only to the client in verbose mode
> > VACUUM doesn't output to server logs
>
> Why that ? For me vacuum was one of the more useful messages in the log.
> Or have you added a separate elog(LOG,... ?
> It told me whether the interval between vacuums was good or not.

If you set server_min_messages to DEBUG1, you will get those in the log.
Vacuum was unusual because it was doing DEBUG to the log and not to the
user. I can change this so it does LOG to the log all the time. I
changed it to DEBUG1 because I was not sure every VACUUM show be spewing
to the log file. It didn't see like a standard log message.

Another option is to set server_min_messages to INFO and do a VACUUM
VERBOSE. That will force those to the log without other DEBUG1
messages. As you can see, this is going to allow more control over
sending information to different places.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us