Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Dannyi(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il" <dannyi(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support
Date: 2002-02-25 09:29:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-odbc
> We have a Unicode hebrew db in PG7.2.  Uou dont need to write the functions
> and views in UTF-8 unless you have some
> literals inside the code.  We had this issue with Hebrew; so we store all
> the literals as tokens in another table which may have some overhead but
> makes for great flexibility. None of our functions or views are coded in
> UTF-8 and they work just fine.

Dear Dany,

This is very interesting. We are trying to add Hebrew support to pgAdmin2.

In PostgreSQL 7.2 we found it was possible to SET CLIENT ENCODING TO LATIN1
and display data from a unicode database without problem (with French hyphens
éèù, etc..). This was not possible in 7.1.x.

It would of great help for us if you could install pgAdmin2
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org) and do the following test.

- connect to your UTF-8 database,
- Enter SET CLIENT_CODING TO one of the following available at
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?multibyte.html. Maybe there are new
encodings available. Recode can translate nearly all encodings.

Can you see the Hebrew information? What font should be used for displaying
Hebrew information in pgAdmin2? Could you send us a sample Hebrew table_dump
(10 records).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel