Re: Serious 7.2 issue (non quiet string truncation)

From: David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: Giovanni Tummarello <tummarel(at)ascu(dot)unian(dot)it>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serious 7.2 issue (non quiet string truncation)
Date: 2002-02-18 21:10:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 03:28:15PM -0500, Rod Taylor wrote:
> Why can't you truncate the string yourself.
>
> Take atleast one of these actions:
>
> 1. Limit the forms themselves to the length in question:
> <input type="text" size="50" />

An attacker could circument this by not going through the webform.
While it's doubtful such an attack would cause an exploitable
condition in a language like PHP, it's still better to check
post-submission...

> 2. Use trim the string to length in the code (php below):
> $string = substr($string, 0, 50);

like this.

> 3. Have the INSERT truncate the string:
> INSERT INTO table (col1) VALUES (substring('valuetoinsert', 1, 5));
>

> Any of the above (or all of the above) will accomplish what you
> require. I personally suggest both 1 and 2. But 3 can be used if
> necessary.

1 and 2, as you say.

Otherwise some day you convert your code over to C and forget to
truncate, and you may be exploitable.

--
David Terrell | "Science is like sex: sometimes
dbt(at)meat(dot)net | something useful comes out, but