Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII and European languages

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII and European languages
Date: 2002-01-29 12:03:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Call me stupid - but I am trying to understand what multibyte encoding
(aka Latin1) would buy me with English/German/French etc. languages (the
app I am currently slapping together will be mostly used by people
writing in German). SQL_ASCII seems to work just fine with German
umlauts and other funny characters that I am stuffing into, or pulling
out of the database (that is, after having survived the nightmare of
importing Filemaker data so as to having umlauts etc. correctly
represented). And what exactly does the server vs. client encoding do?

Thanks, Frank