pgaccess - client wont access testdb

From: Eric Webber <streethockey(at)ureach(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgaccess - client wont access testdb
Date: 2002-01-28 14:07:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Just finished an install of postres7.1.3 on redhat, compiled
in tcl access etc.

created testdb from command line as user postgres
was able to access testdb with psql command line as postgres user

pgaccess X client comes up fine but when I try to open a database
I get the error:

"Error trying to connect to database 'testdb' on host localhost

PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed

connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"

Why would I get this when psql works fine ?

What am I doing wrong ? How would I check what port it is running
on and whether is running with -i and at localhost ?

Isnt the fact psql works proof enough that pgacess should work
too in terms of connectivity ?

For username I give pgaccess the user name postgres and
no password.

regards,

Eric Sean Webber

Get your own "800" number