Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, alavoor <alavoor(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date: 2002-01-21 23:15:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:12:58PM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > This one is perfect ... Bruce? I really leaves no openings, no?
> >
> > It is hard to argue with this wording either. Let's see how people
> > vote.
>
> Besides the poor grammar in the second sentence, it's also incorrect,
> because the whole point of the BSD license to some people is that it is
> not "alone" under the BSD license but can be relicensed in other ways.
>
> I think we should just scrap it and get on with our lives. There are
> about 2 questions a year about the license issues, which does not qualify
> it as "FAQ" anyway.

The one thing that _does_ come up is not 'change your license to GPL' but
"here's my GPLed code: can it get into the main tree?" I liked the version
that mentioned 'contributors must BSD license to get it into the main tree'
since that's the principle Q for people we care about: potential coders.
Anyone else who wants to argue licenses can be safely ignored.

Ross