Re: PG 7.2b4 bug?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 7.2b4 bug?
Date: 2001-12-17 20:37:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Don Baccus wrote:

> insert into data
> select test_seq.nextval
> from multiple_rows;

I'm not sure that's wrong though with that example. test_seq.nextval in
the select list means to PostgreSQL a join with test_seq which is a view
with one row and I'd expect it to only evaluate that one row once, if
it did it more than once in the past, I'd say it was buggy.

However, I'd think:
"select (select nextval from test_seq) from multiple_rows;"
should give you different values and doesn't, although
"select (select nextval from test_seq where i IS NULL or i IS NOT NULL)
from multiple_rows;" does give you different values.