papers on datatype design

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)biology(dot)nmsu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: papers on datatype design
Date: 2001-12-08 05:58:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Does anyone know of papers discussing issues that arise in the design
of specific datatypes intended to represent particular real-world
information? I am thinking of situations more complex than simply
choosing among existing standard datatypes. In some instances,
existing datatypes do not adequately represent the type of information
required; therefore, additional design must be undertaken.

To date, I have found essentially nothing on this issue. Any pointers
would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook