Re: When do I Vacuum ?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Carsten Gerhardt <carsten(dot)gerhardt(at)ppi(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When do I Vacuum ?
Date: 2001-12-07 15:24:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Carsten Gerhardt wrote:
> I didn't read the book, but I also read that one vacuum per day would by
> enough. But my DB runs on a P100 with 64MB ram :-( after 20 to 30
> inserts it seems to slow down, so I vacuum once an houre (at main working time)
> and now I've less problems 8)

That sounds like you're doing some joins of non- or
insufficient indexed tables, do you?

The question how often to vacuum depends on the database use.
As a rule of thumb I'd suggest start with vacuuming when
approx. 10-30% of the data has been touched (UPDATED/DELETED)
and play around with it from there. It all depends pretty
much on the DB usage profile of your application.

Note that the behaviour of vacuum will change with v7.2,
making more frequent vacuum runs lesser painful.

Jan