Re: Rules

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Albert Bartoszko <albertb(at)nt(dot)kegel(dot)com(dot)pl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rules
Date: 2001-12-05 22:58:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane writes:
> >> For 7.3, we should either fix psql or remove the option to use square
> >> brackets in rule action lists. Comments anyone?
>
> > I'd certainly be for removing this since no one could ever really have
> > used this, but this feature seems so unusual, perhaps there was a reason
> > for it?
>
> My guess is that the syntax predates psql, or at least predates psql's
> current ideas about splitting up queries. It's possible that someone
> out there is entering square-bracket-delimited rule lists via a non-psql
> interface, but I doubt it. I'd vote for elimination of the syntax,
> I think.

You're right. The [] syntax was used in Postgres 4.2 and well
supported by monitor(1).

Adding the parens as alternative was - uhm - a workaround for
not beeing able to get square brackets through psql at some
point, but I'm not sure if that was in 6.4 or 6.5.

Anyway, let's rip out the square brackets.

Jan