Re: 7.1.3 not using index

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1.3 not using index
Date: 2001-12-03 21:47:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>Tom Lane said:
> > I will rebuild it again, re-initdb and reload the whole database, but this

> > build was on vanilla BSD/OS 4.2 with the only modifications to add larger
> > shared memory support in the kernel (I need to run many backends).
>
> I'd wonder more about your compiler than the kernel. Keep in mind that
> no one but you has reported anything like this ... so there's got to be
> some fairly specific cause.

Well... the same compiler (machine) happily runs 7.0.3. But see below.

> > PostgreSQL was build with these options
>
> > ./configure --enable-locale --with-perl --with-pythos --with-tcl
> > --enable-obdc --with-krb4 --with-openssl --enable-syslog
> > --with-includes=/usr/include/kerberosIV:/usr/contrib/include
>
> > What I will do try to do now is to clean/rebuild/install everything again.

> > Then try to build with --enable-locale only.
>
> Offhand I would not expect any of those options to affect anything
> happening in the planner, at least not for integer column types.

It did not change anything, when I just

make clean
make
make install

It WORKED however after

make clean
rm config.cache
./configure --enable-locale --with-perl
make
make install

You will say, that configure had mangled things up... But I then tried:

make clean
rm config.cache
./configure (with the all options)
make
make install

and got the same junk!

Then, I discovered that my configure options had two typos.... corrected these
and now all works!?!?!?!

How is this possible? Why would not configure complain for incorrect options?

> Wild guess: what is configure producing for the ALIGN_xxx macros?
> (look in src/include/config.h) Does it match what you believe about
> your hardware?

Looks very reasonable, as far as I can tell:

#define ALIGNOF_SHORT 2
#define ALIGNOF_INT 4
#define ALIGNOF_LONG 4
#define ALIGNOF_LONG_LONG_INT 4
#define ALIGNOF_DOUBLE 4
#define MAXIMUM_ALIGNOF 4

It may turn to be some library trouble...

Daniel