Re: History question

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: History question
Date: 2001-11-30 18:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yes, no code went from Ingres to Postgres.
>
> Right. Trying to link Ingres with Postgres is a bit of a stretch. How
> about linking the team and leaving it at that? Postgres was in many ways
> a clean break to try some new ideas, not an evolutionary development
> (witness the first implementation in lisp, which afaik was not part of
> the Ingres code base).

Here is the book text. Is that clearer. In fact, this paragraph was
worked on just to clarify the relationship. Yes, I agree it is a
stretch, but to ignore University Ingres seemed wrong too:

POSTGRESQL'S ancestor was Ingres, developed at the University of
California at Berkeley (1977-1985). The Ingres code was later enhanced
by Relational Technologies/Ingres Corporation, 6.1 which produced one of
the first commercially successful relational database servers. Also at
Berkeley, Michael Stonebraker led a team to develop an
object-relational database server called Postgres (1986-1994). Illustra
6.2 took the Postgres code and developed it into a commercial product.

> Is the book content copyrighted differently from the currently posted
> content? If so, perhaps someone would like to just update the content...

Uh, of course the book is on the web site, but I am unsure about have it
changed because it wouldn't match the book. We can change what is there
now because that doesn't match the book anyway.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us