Re: contracting tables

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Peter T(dot) Brown" <peter(at)memeticsystems(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contracting tables
Date: 2001-11-30 15:38:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

If you don't have a lot of indexes, sequences,
referential integrity constraints etc. the easiest way
would be:
SELECT INTO table2 DISTINCT * FROM table1;
DROP table1;
ALTER TABLE table2 RENAME TO table1;
Then recreate your other objects/constraints.

If you want to do it in place, then:
DELETE FROM table1
WHERE EXISTS (
SELECT * FROM table1 AS t1
WHERE t1.key < table1.key
);
You will need an index on your "key" value, or this
will take a long time on a large table.