Re: sgml cleanup

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sgml cleanup
Date: 2001-11-22 18:16:21
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 22 Nov 2001 at 18:21 (+0100), Peter Eisentraut wrote:
| Brent Verner writes:
|
| > In trying to get the doc/ tree in cvs to build, I noticed a _lot_ of
| > empty closing tags when I ran
| >
| > sh$ nsgmls -s -wall ./book-decl.sgml ./reference.sgml
|
| The -wall option isn't very useful. Empty closing tags are perfectly
| legal. I don't know if they're good style, but as long as you don't
| exaggerate I don't feel that they aren't. They're not allowed in XML,
| though.

gotcha. When I hit problems with the man.tar build, I started looking
for /any/ cause. The '</>' was the first thing I noticed.

| > Anyone care to share the details of the patched docbook2man-spec.pl
| > file mentioned in doc/src/Makefile.in? Do these modifications fix the
| > problems seen above?
|
| The man pages for release 7.1 where built with docbook2X 0.6.1 plus the
| patch available on my web page[1]. 7.2 is probably going to be the same.
|
| [1] http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/docbook2man.html

cool. I ended up fixing up the newest (0.7.0) release of his script,
and finally did get man.tar built. Is there any desire to distribute
a copy of the patched script in cvs? This would make it much easier
for people who might want to package a given cvs snapshot...

I've attached a patch which adds a directory to search for docbook
stylesheets in the config/docbook.m4 if there is any interest in
supporting another platform for building the cvs docs. This (in
addition to minor doc/src/Makefile mods[1]) allows me to build on
a debian (unstable) box.

[1] patch attached for this as well.

thanks.
brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-docbook.m4.diff text/plain 945 bytes
d.s.s.m.diff text/plain 1.5 KB