Re: SELECT * FROM t where p or q;

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: <frbn(at)efbs-seafrigo(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SELECT * FROM t where p or q;
Date: 2001-11-20 17:58:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 frbn(at)efbs-seafrigo(dot)fr wrote:

> thanks to you, after a 15mn long "vacuum ANALYZE table" :(

Ugh. 7.2s vacuum will be much happier (since it doesn't lock
the tables from other usual use - yay Tom!) but I think there's
also some things you may be able to do to speed it up. It's
possible dropping indexes and recreating them may be faster.

> I can't figure out how Tera-bytes databases admins can
> deal with such vacuum delays!
> (except if a vacuum is only needed every 10 millions records :] )

It mostly depends on the frequency of deletes and updates to the
database.