Re: about the magic(?) of palloc() and variable-length user-defined data type

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Seung Hyun Jeong <jeongs(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: about the magic(?) of palloc() and variable-length user-defined data type
Date: 2001-11-14 22:49:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 Nov 2001 at 20:22 (-0000), Seung Hyun Jeong wrote:

| Let me ask you somthing about the magic of palloc()

There is no magic; only things I am unable to explain :-)

| - at least for me, it looks like magic, and variable-length user-defined
| data types.
| Hopefully, there is anyone who can help me... I am really struggling to
| grasp PostgreSQL.

Great questions. I wish I could answer them... Take a look in
the contrib/ directory for examples of various user defined types.
contrib/cube and contrib/lo in particular deal (in different ways)
with user types of varying size.

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will address your questions
directly. I'm certainly interested in the answers to many of them ;-)

hth.
Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman