Re: [ODBC] MD5 support for ODBC

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ODBC] MD5 support for ODBC
Date: 2001-11-12 19:23:23
Lists: pgsql-odbc pgsql-patches

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > ! all: check_md5 SUBSYS.o
> > !
> > ! check_md5:
> > ! @cmp -s md5.c ../../interfaces/odbc/md5.c || \
> > ! (echo "src/interfaces/odbc/md5.c doesn't match src/backend/libpq/md5.c" && \
> > ! exit 1)
>
> Nope, this doesn't work. The source directory is not necessarily the
> current directory.

OK, I will remove it. However, many of our Makefiles that do ../.. so I
assume they have to assume which directory they are in, i.e, from
libpq/Makefile:

subdir = src/interfaces/libpq
top_builddir = ../../..
include $(top_builddir)/src/Makefile.global

Also, should we add such checks to the other files that must remain
identical?

> I don't think it's particularly useful to put checks of static source
> files in the build path. There are quite a number of places that need to
> be synchronized manually and there is no check anywhere. It would
> probably have been better to have one master copy of the file and symlink
> it to whereever else it is needed. (See libpq Makefile for several
> examples.)

Yes, I already do a symlink for md5.c in libpq. The problem is that
ODBC has to compile stand-alone, with no reference to any outside
directory. I assume that includes symlinks so you can take just /odbc,
put it on a Win32 partition, and compile it. I don't want md5.c to
change that capability.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us