Re: Unicode combining characters

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Patrice Hédé <phede-ml(at)islande(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode combining characters
Date: 2001-10-12 15:59:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> [011011 22:49]:
> >
> > Can I ask about the status of this?
>
> I have sent a patch a few days ago solving the client-side issue (on
> the pgsql-patches mailing list) for review. I think Tatsuo said it
> looked OK, however he should confirm/infirm this.

OK, I saw the client encoding function appear today. I assume Tatsuo
and friends will finish this up.

> Regarding the implementation of Unicode functionality (normalisation,
> collation, Unicode-aware regexes, uc/lc/tc (title-case) functions,...)
> on the server side, it's definitely something for 7.3 (though it might
> be available sooner). It will probably be just a contributed extension
> first. I'm currently making an alpha version of the project I'm
> working on in order to have sufficient "real-life" Unicode data to
> work with, and make sure the design choices make sense :)

If you would like to add some TODO items, please let me know. Good to
document them even if you can't get to them for a while.

> BTW, I tried to find web-accessible archives of pgsql-patches, are
> there some, or should each and every discussion be followed-up on
> pgsql-hackers (even though the description for pgsql-patches includes
> discussions on patches) ?

I use:

http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/

You can discuss on patches or hackers. I usually do patch discussion on
patches unless I need a larger audience for comments.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us