Re: cvs problem

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: John Summerfield <pgtest(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs problem
Date: 2001-10-05 12:22:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, John Summerfield wrote:

> I don't think I was being rude. It's true I'm no diplomat. I've
> criticised actions (and, I think, with considerable justice), but I've
> not actually criticised people.

How can your criticisms be 'with considerable justice' (justification?)
when you have no more then 2 weeks knowledge of the project and/or the ppl
involved in it? For starters, this 'move' has been going on for more then
2 weeks now, and this last phase has been the one withthe most hiccups, as
its also been the one with the most ppl affected ...

> And my point is that something moved. Something that many people (I
> don't know how many, but thousands wouldn't surprise me) depended on.

I'd be surprised if most of what moved affected hundreds ...

> I have over thirty years' experience in computing, many of them
> supporting users. That experiece tells me that making a change that
> inconveniences users is a mistake. If the change really must be made,
> do it so as to reduce the inconvenience as far as possible.

As you have only been here 2 weeks, what do you know about what did (or
didn't) need to be done? Or about the work that went into making the
whole change as painless as possible? CVS was the most painful, and there
were forewarnings about it, to the extent that we made sure that those
with changes to commit weren't affected before they changed ...

"End users", IMHO, it should have been totally irrelevant too ... remove
and re-check out the tree ... but, then again, I believe it was PeterE
that even posted a 'how to change your CVS to point to the new server'
script, so that those users weren't inconvience as well ...

if you are going to play with CVS, then deal with problems that *will*
arise as a result of it ... else, download the .tar.gz files like everyone
else ...

> From my other readinds I see that the PG team controls the entire disk
> layout. Given that, I can see no reason that the CVS tree needed to be
> changed in the way it was.

well, for one, its easier to remember:

/cvsroot

then