Re: cvs problem

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: John Summerfield <pgtest(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: John Summerfield <pgtest(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs problem
Date: 2001-10-04 21:18:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 07:53 pm, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Monday 01 October 2001 07:33 pm, John Summerfield wrote:
> > > Time to get your act together fellas.

> > This is open source John, not rocket science. (pun intended)

> Hmm. Kids I was at school with were building rockets in their backyards.
> OSS is similarly a backyard affair. Awhere's the difference;-)

But that's a _hobby_, not 'rocket science' -- and the pun was that there _is_
a rocket scientist among us.... Lots of us here are doing this as a hobby.

> > Lighten up. The release will happen, regardless of minor server issues
> > (that are being worked out right now, even as I write, by highly capable
> > professionals, who, BTW, are doing this on a volunteer basis).

> I appreciate the volunteer point. However, a project in disarray is a
> project in disarray whether volunteer or not.

Two weeks of disarray versus 5 years of soloid performance. You'd think a
couple of weeks of temporary pain wouldn't be a big deal.

> PG isn't perfect - we all know that. Nor is the project administration.
> When there's a problem identified, someone has to take responsibility for
> fixing it, and someone has to ensure the person reporting the problem has a
> way forward.

And the problem is being addressed. Patience is a good watchword.

> "Lighten up" isn't the right response. Examine your project. See what
> points I make have merit. Welcome criticism. You don't have to like the
> message you know;-)

No, I don't have to like the message. But the message can be phrased in a
more polite way, as has been pointed out. You were just being a little too
_serious_ about it, that's all. Give it a week or two, and things will be
OK. The issues are in Vince and Marc's very capable hands -- but, as Marc
said, this stuff has lived in the same place for >5 years -- and lots of
interdependencies had to be addressed. And they _are_being addressed.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio