Re: Building natively on win32 with mingw32/Cygwin

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: gerhard(at)bigfoot(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building natively on win32 with mingw32/Cygwin
Date: 2001-09-24 15:02:01
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Gerhard,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 06:49:52AM +0200, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> The powers that be have stated that they'd prefer to integrate the native
> mingw32 build into the existing autoconf-based build process.

I agree that this is the way to go.

> I'd like to tackle only the minimum for now: building a native win32 libpq
> with Cygwin's mingw32 mode ("-mno-cygwin").

See the following mailing list threads for some work by Christof Petig
in this area:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-07/msg00003.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-07/msg00027.php

> My problem is that I have next to zero experience with the autoconf toolset.
> I'd very much appreciate any help you can give me here.

See the online version of the "goat" book for information of the
autotools:

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

> Problem #1: How should it work?
> ===============================
>
> With which options to configure should the native compilation work? What's the
> standard way to get this to work? I assumed "./configure
> --target=i386-mingw32" should be all that is necessary. I assume the
> configure script must then do all the rest like:
>
> - determine the host system
> - determine the executable name of gcc
> - determine the options to pass to gcc ("-mno-cygwin")
>
> Or is there more to it? Setting additional variables?

There are autoconf macros AC_CYGWIN and AC_MINGW32 that should help you
determine whether you are running under Cygwin or Mingw. Sorry, but I'm
not a autoconf guru, so you will have to dig some more yourself.

> Problem #2 is how to get this to work. But first I need to know for which
> things to trigger in the configure stuff.

I think that a harder issue will be to prevent the Mingw build from
trying to build everything (like Cygwin) than determining which platform.

Jason