Re: PostgreSQL funding/organization

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL funding/organization
Date: 2001-09-20 16:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Thursday 20 September 2001 08:58 am, mlw wrote:
> > Now that GreatBridge is gone. (I'm pretty sad about that, they looked like
> > they were working on some cool stuff.)
>
> > Has this changed, in any way, the development path of PostgreSQL?
>
> Just my personal opinion:
>
> While PostgreSQL was developed prior to _any_ substantial funding through the
> efforts of the PostgreSQL Global Development Group on volunteer basis, the
> fact that Bruce, Tom, and Jan will have to make a living elsewhere might very
> well impact the speed of development.
>
> Although, Tom was doing an incredible amount of bugfixing long before Great
> Bridge. Bruce was doing the same things before Great Bridge as he did while
> employed at GB. Jan added PL/Tcl and PL/pgsql (and foreign keys, and many
> other things) long before Great Bridge was on the map at all.

And, in fact, since GB came on the map, Jan has been so busy getting
across from Germany that he hasn't had much time to work on PgSQL, which
means that GB slowed down development to an extent ... balanced off with
Tom's increased development, but that is neither here nor there ...

Three things that GB provided for their $25million:

1. Tom's ability to focus on programming more
2. Bruce's ability to travel and evangelize(sp?) more
3. www.greatbridge.org

Three things that are going to change now that GB is gone:

1. tom's wife will see more of him
2. bruce's wife and kids will see more of him
3. www.greatbridge.org lives on as gborg.postgresql.org

Two things that won't change much:

1. Tom's visibility in the groups and in the cvs commit logs
2. Bruce's visibility in the groups and in the cvs commit logs

IMHO ...