Re: Registring a C function in PostgreSQL II

From: Haller Christoph <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: iafmgc(at)unileon(dot)es (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Gonz=E1lez?=)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Registring a C function in PostgreSQL II
Date: 2001-09-20 10:29:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

My understanding is, if you have system calls from within
postgres, the child processes invoked are run in the
postgres user's environment.
So, login as user postgres and have a look what aliases
are set. My idea is, because postgres is not a human user,
these aliases are not set. I think, if you copy the
aliases from your environment to the postgres environment,
you should be able to use them.
But, I do not think it's a good idea to do so, because
using such cross dependencies from the postgres environment
to databank internals is prone to hard-to-find errors
and makes porting applications to quite a hazard.
Regards, Christoph