Bug #435: Cannot connect to databases if using Capital Letters

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #435: Cannot connect to databases if using Capital Letters
Date: 2001-08-31 15:18:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

James Pattie (james(at)pcxperience(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Cannot connect to databases if using Capital Letters

Long Description
If I create a database Ex. BUGS it shows up as bugs instead of BUGS.
I can drop the database by saying "drop database BUGS;" and it works
but I can not do a \c BUGS or psql BUGS. I get this error:
psql: FATAL 1: Database "BUGS" does not exist in the system catalog.

Is this a bug or a feature? It appears like the connect code is not
lowercasing the database name like it appears to do in the create and
drop cases.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report