Re: User locks code

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User locks code
Date: 2001-08-24 16:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Yes, that is probably it. The GPL doesn't give anything to users, it
>takes some control away from users and gives it to the author of the
>code.

Correction - it takes away from the *distributor* of binaries the right to
give users fewer rights than he has. If he doesn't distribute, he can do what
he likes.

I'm sorry to be pedantic! We need to be clear about that because Microsoft
are trying to spread FUD about it.

From the project's point of view, it is probably a bad idea to accept code
under any licence other than BSD. That can only lead to confusion among
users and distributors alike and may led to inadvertent violation of the
GPL by those who don't notice that it is has been used.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver