Re: Partial Indices vs. mixing columns and functions

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partial Indices vs. mixing columns and functions
Date: 2001-07-11 08:32:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:09:51AM -0400, Mike Mascari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created table/view pairs like:

[snip]

Yes, creating a unique partial index should be possible and will do what you
want I think, (I couldn't totally follow what you meant).

However, partial indicies will not support the IS NULL predicates, for the
same reason that IS NULL cannot use an index for lookups.

I'd love to fix that but that's going to be hard (or rather, I havn't
thought of an easy way to do it :).

Maybe someone has a better solution.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/