Help me speed things up...

From: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help me speed things up...
Date: 2001-06-07 02:26:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

I'm doing some postgres stuff in perl. I haven't done much database stuff
in many years, and back then I was doing Oracle in C. I'm doing a major
query that gets a bunch of fields including a key, and then does other
queries with that key on other tables. Now with Oracle I would have set
up and compiled a query for the subqueries, and then only substituted in
the key variable and do the query, and repeat ad-nauseum. (Forgive the
fact that I've forgotten the terminology) There doesn't seem to be any
way to do that in Pg.pm, unless I'm missing something, and my subqueries
are making the whole thing slow as molasses. I think the query I just did
took about 45 minutes when I did the subqueries, and about 30 seconds
without.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>, not speaking for anybody
"But I heard him exclaim, as he climbed in the night