7.1.1 Lock Problems on Views

From: Brian Powell <brian(at)owlscreech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.1.1 Lock Problems on Views
Date: 2001-05-31 15:33:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Greetings,

I am investigating whether our application will run on 7.1.1 (from
7.0.3), and our client software only accesses the database through views
for security and convenience.

In our client app, we lock our table before doing something to it.
Fortunately, in 7.0.3, a view looked like a table and we could perform:

lock v_whatever in share row exclusive mode;

However, in 7.1.1, it comes back and tells me that:

ERROR: LOCK TABLE: v_whatever is not a table

The HUGE advantage in 7.0.3 was that we could present our db through
views and the client didn't have to know.

I tried to put the lock statements into the rule of each view when the
rule does the actual work, such as:

create rule v_whatever_insert as on insert to v_whatever
do instead (
lock whatever in share row exclusive mode;
insert into whatever (blah) values (new.blah);
);

However, the view won't be created, it claims there is a syntax error.

So, with 7.1.1, how can I create views and lock the data when modifying
the table?

Thanks,

--Brian