Re: AW: AW: User functions and AIX

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: User functions and AIX
Date: 2001-05-29 18:57:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Zeugswetter Andreas SB
> > Bingo! I can't believe that IBM has been wrestling with this for a week.
> > Part of the reason we are thinking of going with IBM is for the support.
>
> Shared libs are obviously not their strong side :-)
Tell me about it.

> Basically we are very happy with their RS6000's and AIX though.

With PostgreSQL? See below.

> > Here is my Makefile now. I'm not sure about that -lc there
> > as I get duplicate symbol warnings but it appears to work fine.
>
> they don't matter
>
> > CFLAGS = -g -O0 -pipe -ansi -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith
>
> gcc and not xlc :-) actually xlc produces faster code, but I don't think that makes a
> noticeable difference.

Hmm. Should I get rid of gcc and build PostgreSQL with xlc do you think?
Some people have told me that gcc is actually faster.

> > .o.so:
> > ld -G -o $@ $< -L ${PGLIBDIR} -bI:/usr/local/pgsql/lib/postgres.imp \
> > -bexpall -bnoentry -lc
>
> Always use the compiler for linking instead of ld:
> gcc -Wl,-H512 -Wl,-bM:SRE -o $@ $< -L ${PGLIBDIR} -bI:/usr/local/pgsql/lib/postgres.imp \
> -bexpall -bnoentry

I'll do that. Thanks.

> You are not allowed to leave anything unresolved, thus do not use -G, or you won't notice
> unresolved externals (-G includes -berok which you don't want at all).

I wasn't sure if I needed that. I will remove it.

OK, so I built it and loaded my database. I tried to load a very big
table (383969 rows) and the copy failed because it was too big. I split
the input into smaller chunks but when I ran it I got the following error.

ERROR: copy: line 1, Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(858864139)

There is no way that I could have used that much memory in the first row.
I dropped the table and recreated it and the load worked. Although it
works now I still feel a little uneasy.

Thanks for your help.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves