restore improvement

From: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: restore improvement
Date: 2001-05-17 15:50:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think the restore process could be made more error proof if the following
additions could be made:

pg_dump, (maybe started with a special flag) if run with superuser rights
should not issue

\connect - username
create table foo (...
copy foo from ...

to create tables, but use this syntax:
create table foo(...
copy foo from ...
update pg_class
set relowner=u.usesysid
from pg_user u
where u.usename='username' and relname='foo';

This would avoid situations where a restore becomes impossible because
password authentication is necessary. This would allow restoring without
having to set trust in pg_hba.conf. A patch would be simple, in fact I wrote
it within a few minutes.

Or am I completly wrong and there's a better way to accomplish this?

Best regards,
Mario Weilguni

Mario Weilguni                 KPNQwest Austria GmbH
 Senior Engineer Web Solutions Nikolaiplatz 4
 tel: +43-316-813824         8020 graz, austria
 fax: +43-316-813824-26       http://www.kpnqwest.at
 e-mail: mario(dot)weilguni(at)kpnqwest(dot)com