Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors.

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors.
Date: 2001-05-16 09:18:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stephen Deasey (sdeasey(at)bigfoot(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors.

Long Description
Using the Postgres 7.1.1 RPMs I typed the following into psql:

=# create table foo (foo integer);
CREATE
=# create table bar (bar integer) inherits(foo);
CREATE
=# create table baz (baz integer references bar(foo));
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table "bar" not found

I think this is incorrect, and it is not the behaviour I was seeing with version 7.0.3 where it worked as expected.

HOWEVER...

I upgraded to 7.1.1 in the first place hoping to fix the following problem: The above defined tables load correctly. Table bar has data loaded into the inherited columns from foo, which can clearly be seen when selecting using the 'from bar*' syntax. When inserting into baz the referential constraint kicks in complaining there is no matching value in bar. The constraint trigger is not checking up the hierarchy of inherited columns.

Sorry I can't give the exact error mesage now, I blew away the old installation.

Thanks!

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report