Re: Is `#!/bin/sh' configurable?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is `#!/bin/sh' configurable?
Date: 2001-05-08 16:28:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi.
>
> On some systems /bin/sh is not Burne Shell, e.g. /bin/sh is tcsh, but
> there is /bin/sh5. It is looks like there is already knowledge about it in
> the system: Makefile.ultrix4 has `SHELL=/bin/sh5' in it, but configure
> thinks something else: config.status has `s%(at)SHELL@%/bin/sh%g'. (This is
> really unrelated, because `src/bin/initdb/initdb.sh' has `#! /bin/sh'
> hardcoded in it)

Actually, Makefile.ultrix will override what is in config.status, so
that part is OK.

> The result of the mess is that scripts like initdb are installed with
> `#!/bin/sh', but they has function definition and tcsh complain about
> usage of '('.

It is hard to feel sorry for OS's that have /bin/sh as something that is
not at least moderately compatible with the Bourne sh.

However, I am applying the following patch to allow SHELL set in
Makefile.* to control what is used by initdb. I have not changed any
other commands because I don't want to start making this change all over
when it is not necessary.

> BTW: After hand substitution I reach the point of
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=4, num=17, 03600) failed: No space left on
> device
> The problem is that I have no idea how to enlarge the parameters on
> `ULTRIX black 4.3 1 RISC', and it is looks like PG has no FAQ for
> it. Anybody knows how to do it?

Sorry, I don't know.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us