disk usage advice needed

From: newsreader(at)mediaone(dot)net
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: disk usage advice needed
Date: 2001-05-01 18:26:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

My data directory is like (pg 7.1 linux 2.4.4)
---
$ ls
PG_VERSION base/ global/ pg_hba.conf pg_ident.conf pg_xlog/ postgresql.conf postmaster.opts
----

With 7.0.3 I remember?? that there are files named according to table
names. With 7.1 I don't know which disk file is associated with
which table. What I would like to do is spread the files between
two ide disks in order to gain some performance. I heard
somewhere that I can symlink some of the files to a different
disk to gain some speed and I was wondering of which of those
files are my tables. What advise would you give if I
can split pg data between two disks.

I think all of the data is in base/ directory and it looks
like this

1/ 18719/ 18836/ 573216/

I have two currently two big tables that are
constantly (1-5 times per second the whole day)
being accessed and always simultaneously and
I wish these two tables to live on two separately.

Thanks in advance