Re: Re: SQL Where Like - Range it?!

From: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: SQL Where Like - Range it?!
Date: 2001-05-01 17:44:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:11:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Always remember that the cost estimates quoted by EXPLAIN are estimates,
> not reality.
>
> In this case the reason for the difference is that the planner doesn't
> have any detailed understanding of the semantics of bracket-expressions
> in regexps, so it doesn't realize that ^[AB] could usefully use an
> index. It wants to see ^ followed by at least one character of fixed
> pattern before it will think about an indexscan ...

so the query planner doesn't use indexes for ~'^[A-F]' then?
(meaning, such regex queries are all sequential scans...)

or are you saying that just the explainer routines don't?
(meaning, explain doesn't grok as well as the actual fetch-
and-match routines do...)

hmm?

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will(at)serensoft(dot)com