Re: 7.1 vacuum

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Naeslund(f)" <mag(at)fbab(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1 vacuum
Date: 2001-04-27 12:55:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> [010427 05:50] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > * Magnus Naeslund(f) <mag(at)fbab(dot)net> [010426 21:17] wrote:
> > > How does 7.1 work now with the vacuum and all?
> > >
> > > Does it go for indexes by default, even when i haven't run a vacuum at all?
> > > Does vacuum lock up postgres? It says the analyze part shouldn't, but how's
> > > that for all of the vacuum?
> > >
> > > An 7.0.3 db we have here we are forced to run vacuum every hour to get an
> > > acceptable speed, and while doing that vacuum (5-10 minutes) it totaly
> > > blocks our application that's mucking with the db.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/
>
> What's the deal with vacuum lazy in 7.1? I was looking forward to it. It was
> never clear whether or not you guys decided to put it in.
>
> If it is in as a feature, how does one use it?
> If it is a patch, how does one get it?

If you actually download and read the enclosed READMEs it's pretty
clear.

> If it is neither a patch nor an existing feature, has development stopped?

I have no idea, I haven't been tracking postgresql all that much
since leaving the place where we contracted that work.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]
Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/