Re: Memory and performance

From: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory and performance
Date: 2001-04-05 12:52:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

I thought this was an interesting thread because we're running into
problems with IO under 7.1 during vacuum and a couple of scheduled aggregation
jobs.

Our database is about 1GB in total size, the machine has 4GB, but the entire
system is only using 1.2 GB, even during vacuum or a daily, extremely large
query that requires a lot of grouping and sorting.

Any suggestions as to how we can make more use of our RAM, paricularly during
vacuum, which is when we get killed? We've actually considered mounting the
database on a RAM drive in a halfway serious way.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge