Re: serial type; race conditions

From: "postgresql" <pgsql(at)symcom(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PgSQL-SQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serial type; race conditions
Date: 2001-03-29 14:41:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

How does currval work if you are not inside a transaction. I have
been experimenting with inserting into a table that has a sequence.
If the insert fails (not using a transaction) because of bad client input
then the next insert gets the proper next number in the sequence.

given sequence 1,2,3,4,5 exists
insert into table date 1/111/01 (obviously wrong) insert fails...
try again with good data, insert succeeds and gets number 6 in the
sequence.

i'm getting what I want. A sequence number that does not increment
on a failed insert. However, how do I get the assigned sequence
number with currval when I am not using a transaction? What
happens when multiple users are inserting at the same time?

I am trying to create a sequence with out any "missing" numbers. If
there is a failure to insert, and a sequence number is "taken". I want
the empty row.

Thanks, .... it is getting clearer....

Ted